|Rye's open kitchen. The copper-topped table in the|
foreground will eventually host Chef's Table seating.
Colby and Megan Garrelts' much anticipated Rye
opened last week. Opening week (or month
) is arguably the worst
time to visit a restaurant. More often than not the menus aren't fixed, the servers are confused and everyone is still bumping into each other in the kitchen. So we arrived Saturday night full of anticipation tempered with realistic expectations.
It was a Saturday night and at 7:00 PM the place was pleasantly packed, full of energy and bustle. It's a handsome
space - exuding a subtle masculinity that feels warm and timeless.
It's always fun to watch pro's in action. Throughout the evening Colby and Megan could variously be seen greeting old friends, gently guiding the staff, or whispering to each other in the corners always keeping an eye on the place like protective parents watching a child at the playground from afar.
First impression: It was the best opening week meal I can remember. Don't wait to visit.
A few more details and photos...
It's too early to weigh-in on specifics but here are a few observations:
- The restaurant has a warm inviting atmosphere perfectly paired with the Garrelts' modern reinterpretation of the mom & pop Midwestern comfort food restaurant.
- Good looking and large bar area. We were seated immediately and didn't get a chance to try it out.
- The open kitchen offers a nice view of the backstage efforts that make the restaurant special.
- Unfamiliar with some of the wines, I took advantage of their very helpful sommelier.
- The cocktail list is creative and will tempt anyone looking for a midwestern spin on many old standards.
- The menu should please anyone ready to try their old comfort food favorites with a slightly dressed-up twist by a very talented chef.
- Save room for dessert. Megan's skills really shine.
|Sweet Corn Fizz Cocktail|
Kansas white whiskey, St. Germain, House-made corn water,
egg white lemon and cream
|House-cured meats from the starter menu.|
|Whipped Goat Cheese and Honey|
|Buttered Hot Sauce Shrimp|
Creamy cheddar grits, crispy pulled pork.
|Sour cream mashed potatoes with butter and scallions|
|Vintage Beef Brisket|
|Meyer Lemon Pie|
|Chocolate Peppermint Layer Cake|
|Megan and Colby Garrelts, owners of Rye, in front of their kitchen.|
Post a Comment